Monday, January 31, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

A recipe for delicious whole-wheat blueberry muffins.  I love these, and my kids do, too.

Sorry for the lack of pictures--they don't last long enough!

This recipe was adapted from Hungry Girl's 200 Under 200 cookbook.  I love Hungry Girl, I do, but I don't like use super-processed ingredients like Splenda when I'm cooking.  I'll post the original recipe, but my alterations are in parentheses.

Big Fat Blueberry Muffins
1 cup blueberries (I used frozen, tossed with 1 T. of flour)
Toss blueberries with flour in a small bowl--set aside

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated Splenda (white sugar)
3 T. unpacked brown sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Set aside.

1/2 cup light vanilla soymilk (I used plain almond milk)
1/4 cup sugar-free pancake syrup (I used reduce-sugar syrup)
1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute (one large egg)
2 T. light whipped buttery spread, room temperature
2 T. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 t. vanilla extract
Mix wet ingredients together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Fold in blueberries.

Spray 6 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.  Fill cups with muffin batter.  Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.

Note: You have 2 choices here--fill 6 muffin cups completely for huge muffins, or fill 9 muffin cups 2/3 of the way full to have "standard-size" muffins.  Your choice.  This recipe easily doubles to make 12 giant muffins or 18 regular ones.

This recipe shared at:


untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment